The best food, shopping and culture tour of New York's real Little Italy
Our food tours of Little Italy in the Bronx welcome you to New York's largest concentration of historic mom-and-pop shops to celebrate Italian food and culture. We’re a family business that has been on Arthur Avenue since 1918, first as a fish store, then as a butcher shop which served as a set for the Academy Award winning film, and now as a tour operator. Our tours are crafted from generations of stories and relationships with the family-run food businesses in this last remaining authentic Italian enclave.
A Truly authentic experience of Little Italy led by Italian food & Wine Experts
Husband-and-wife team Danielle Oteri and Christian Galliani founded Arthur Avenue Food Tours to share their love for this neighborhood as well as their passion for Italian food and wine. Danielle’s food and travel writing has been published in Conde Nast Traveler, Roads & Kingdoms and NPR while Christian is a sommelier who was on the wine team at Michelin-starred Del Posto, lead sommelier at Tarry Lodge and and Beverage Manager at Eataly Downtown.
Our Shopping & Tasting Tour of Little Italy in the Bronx explores over a dozen historic food shops. Discover the history and secret corners of the neighborhood while tasting the absolute best bites of food along the way.
During a 2.5 hour tour:
- We introduce you to over a dozen shops and restaurants, most of which have been in business for between 80-100 years and are still family owned and operated.
- You'll meet butchers, bakers and fresh pasta makers and taste food along the way, equal to a large lunch.
- By the end of the tour, you'll know how to navigate Little Italy like a regular. We encourage you to shop along the way and to enjoy our expert guidance and well-tested recommendations.
As we walk from shop-to-shop, guests learn about this historic NYC neighborhood.
- How the Lorillard family once owned this land, how their mansion gave the neighborhood its name and the secret ingredient in their tobacco products which still grows in the neighborhood.
- Find out how Arthur Avenue got its name.
- The surprising connection between the Italian community and the neighboring New York Botanical Garden and Bronx Zoo
Would you like a closer look at what the tour is like? Watch co-founder Danielle Oteri in this video about the real Little Italy featured on CNN Travel.
We offer our Shopping & Tasting Tour 5-days a week starting at 11am in front of the Arthur Avenue Retail Market 2344 Arthur Avenue. Tours are $79 per person and $45 for children. Tastings included on the tour are equivalent to a large lunch.
Private tours for friends, families and corporate groups are also available. Multigenerational family celebrations are our specialty!
This tour runs Tuesdays-Saturdays from 11am-1pm or as a private tour by appointment.
Arthur Avenue Food Tours is also available to book via Airbnb's Experiences portfolio.