"Had the time of my life on this amazing tour. Loved everything about it - the food, the people, the history, the neighborhood, the guide. Bring a shopping bag because you'll wanna buy and take home so much of that delicious Italian food." Joe Kazemi
AS SEEN ON
In April 2017 CNN joined us for a food tour of Little Italy in the Bronx. Watch the video to go on a virtual tour of the best enclave of Italian food shops in the United States.
Arthur Avenue Shopping & Tasting Tour
Every Thursday, Friday & Saturday from 11AM-1:30 PM
"Danielle is on a first name basis with the store owners along the tour, and her family history is connected to Arthur Avenue, deepening this experience with fantastic stories." Pat Arnao, New York
Arthur Avenue Shopping & Tasting Tour Description
There's absolutely no place else like Little Italy in the Bronx outside of Europe. Arthur Avenue offers a singular density of truly artisanal food shops. Over 2 hours we'll explore nearly a dozen food shops including butchers, bread bakers, pastry shops and a fresh pasta shop. You'll learn about food and history by interacting with the shop keepers themselves rather than hearing a tour guide work from a memorized script.
- Say hi to Peter at Vincent's Meat Market named one of the 10 best butcher shops in New York City.
- Sample imported Italian cheese at Calandra's also known for their exquisite fresh ricotta made daily.
- Take a stroll through the Arthur Avenue Retail Market and sort through the high quality pastas, flours, cookies, and canned tomatoes imported from Italy at Mount Carmel Foods.
- Look up at the "sausage chandelier" at Calabria Pork Store and sample their house cured pork products.
- Taste authentic Sicilian cannoli at Caffé & Gelato.
- Visit Addeo's bakery for a taste of the addictive chicola bread made with chunks of crispy cured pork.
- Borgatti Ravioli for fresh pasta and ravioli made with love.
- Egidio Pastry Shop where Carmela Lucciola uses Don Pasquale Egidio's original recipes from the 19th century.
- Teitel Brothers, where chefs go to shop and where you can buy authentic Italian olive oils at a low price.
- Joe's Deli for the best fresh mozzarella in Little Italy.
Throughout the tour we'll sample bread, pastry, cheese and salume, equivalent to a small to medium sized lunch. Shops make certain specialties on certain days or for particular holidays. Samples will be adjusted to reflect the best of Little Italy on the date of your tour.
$79 per person, includes 2.5 hour tour + food samples of pastry, cheese, bread and salume, equivalent to a medium sized lunch
Thank you for making our Arthur Avenue Food Tour an amazing experience. The foods from the many shops including a bakery, pastry, meat, cheese, and pasta were all overwhelmingly delicious! Plus, Lisa and I immensely enjoyed exploring with you as you discussed details of this historic neighborhood. I highly recommend others to sign up for your food tour. Neil Garcia, Connecticut
Arthur Avenue Food Tours are led Italian food experts. Each tour draws on decades of personal experience and stories rather than a script memorized by a contracted tour guide. These tours are deeply personal that will make you feel at home in Little Italy.
Founder Danielle Oteri's great-grandparents arrived from Naples and opened a dried fish store on Arthur Avenue. After World War II it became a butcher shop and served as the set for the Academy Award winning film Marty starring Ernest Borgnine. The shop remains on Arthur Avenue today as Vincent's Meat Market.
Christian Galliani grew up shopping on Arthur Avenue with his Italian-born mother. He's a sommelier and was the wine director at Mario Batali and Joe Bastianich's Tarry Lodge. Christian brings his front-of-the-house restaurant experience to the tours he hosts in Little Italy in the Bronx.
Danielle & Christian also lead food and wine tours in the Cilento region of Southern Italy as part of parent company Feast On History.
Arthur Avenue is so unique, and Danielle gives a tour that does it justice. Delicious food, great history, and a real personal touch. I might take the tour again! Michele Davidson