When: Thursdays-Saturdays 11am-1:30pm
Where: Meet in front of 2344 Arthur Avenue, Arthur Avenue Retail Market.
Duration: 2.5 hour walking tour
How many guests: 12 max
Food: Tastings of pastry, bread, cheese and salume, equivalent to a small to medium sized lunch.
The Belmont section of the Bronx, also known as Little Italy or simply “Arthur Avenue”, is one of New York's last enclaves of truly, family-run food shops. On this European style food tour we visit nearly a dozen Italian food shops, most of which have been in business for over 100 years.
- The tour begins in front of the famous Arthur Avenue Retail Market where we explore the many stalls inside and make a special stop to see what foods have just arrived from Italy at Mount Carmel Foods.
- Next we’ll head next store to Calabria Pork Store where the entire ceiling is covered with their homemade sausages.
- Diego at Calandra’s Cheese Shop will give us samples of his housemade ricotta.
- Then we’ll stop by Madonia Bakery for a taste of their singular white chocolate bread.
- We’ll say hi to Carmela at Egidio Pastry Shop and watch fresh pasta being made at Borgatti Ravioli
- Visit Joe’s Deli for a sample of their hand-pulled mozzarella.
- Finally, we’ll look in the windows of Vincent’s Meat Market and Biancardi’s, find out why NYC chefs get their Italian food supplies at Teitel Brothers and wrap up with one last taste at Addeo Bakers.
OPTION 2: PRIVATE TOUR for friends/family or corporate groups
Rather than just going out to dinner with friends or family, consider a walking feast in Little Italy in the Bronx!
Do you have a small company or are you the head of a department that's been working especially hard lately? Bring the team together for a day of walking, exploring and tasting the best of this Italian food enclave together followed by lunch or dinner. Our past corporate guests include technology companies, pharmaceutical companies, editorial teams and members of the New York Botanical Garden.
Groups coming from Manhattan can get to Arthur Avenue in just 17 minutes from Grand Central Station.
2a) PRIVATE FOOD TOUR + LUNCH OR DINNER, $105 per person
Minimum 5 (or $525), maximum 15 guests, booked by appointment only. Bring your appetite for a 2-hour tasting tour plus lunch or dinner. We'll visit Egidio's bakery to see how cannoli are made, taste freshly made mozzarella at Joe's Deli, taste sweet and spicy sopressata at Calabria Pork Store, white chocolate bread at Madonia and cheese infused with black truffles at Calandra's. If the weather is nice, we'll visit the sidewalk oyster bar at Cosenza's. After the tour, we'll sit down for lunch or dinner together at Mario's for Joe Migliucci's famous pizza.
To book a private tour + lunch or dinner, please send an email to email@example.com.
2b) PRIVATE TASTING TOUR, $79 per person
Minimum 5 (or $395), maximum 15 guests Visit nearly a dozen food shops and taste bread, cheese, pastry and salume along the way. We'll visit Egidio's bakery to see how cannoli are made, taste freshly made mozzarella at Joe's Deli, taste sweet and spicy sopressata at Calabria Pork Store, white chocolate bread at Madonia and Prima Donna cheese at Calandra's.
Please choose a date from the calendar below. Call 917-881-3918 or email firstname.lastname@example.org with questions.
See Feast On History founder Danielle Oteri lead an Arthur Avenue Food Tour for CNN Travel
YOUR HOSTS FOR LITTLE ITALY IN THE BRONX
Arthur Avenue Food Tours are led by Danielle Oteri and Christian Galliani, founders of Feast On History™. Danielle is a food and travel writer whose family owned what is now Vincent's Meat Market for decades. Christian is an award winning sommelier and Italian wine expert.