Discover the best enclave of historic and artisanal food shops in the united states
There's absolutely nothing like Little Italy in the Bronx outside of Europe. With giant chain food stores taking over suburban and urban neighborhoods, Arthur Avenue offers a singular density of truly artisanal food shops. Within four blocks you'll find seven shops that make fresh mozzarella daily, four butchers shops, five pastry shops and the historic Arthur Avenue Retail Market.
On our 2.5 hour walking food tour of Little Italy we will:
- Say hi to Peter at Vincent's Meat Market named one of the 10 best butcher shops in New York City.
- Sample scamorza, parmigiano reggiano and a decadent truffle cheese at Calandra's as well as the house-made mozzarella and ricotta cheese, the best you'll find outside Italy.
- Take a stroll through the enormous Arthur Avenue Retail Market and sort through the high quality pastas, flours, cookies, and canned tomatoes imported from Italy at Mount Carmel Foods.
- Look up at the "sausage chandelier" at Calabria Pork Store and sample their house cured pork products.
- Taste pistachio dipped cannoli at Caffé & Gelato
- Visit Addeo's bakery for a taste of the addictive "cheegola" bread.
Other stops include:
- Borgatti Ravioli for fresh pasta
- Egidio Pastry Shop for Italian-American rainbow cookies
- Teitel Brothers, where chefs go to shop
- Joe's Deli for homemade mozzarella